Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wedding Insecurities

After my last post on budgets, I was contemplating why weddings (and their budgets) are such a tough and touchy topic. I've come up with a few thoughts... 1) They are events that take your personal life and broadcast it publicly. 2) Expectations galore! (Um..I designed my wedding when I was eight. Hows that for building expectations?) 3) Tons of money is wrapped up in the WIC and our insecurities. Our willingness to pay to calm those insecurities makes the WIC happy.

But my last realization has to do with where weddings meet feminism (and they meet quite a lot).

Our culture has this crappy habit of looking down on anything related to what is considered women's domain. Showing emotions? Weak! Enjoying your decorations and flowers? How frivolous! Being in any way "girly"? Well, apparently we all fail from our girly births.

Brides are stuck between a rock of trying to meet traditional and often ridiculous expectations and the hard place of trying to be a chill bride who isn’t “too interested” in her wedding for fear of being judged or being called the dreaded B word. And its near effing impossible. Oh, I'm supposed to put together this super elegant, traditional, mondo party without going all crazy bridezilla on your ass? yeah, right. One more person telling me that whatever isn't “formal enough" or that I "have" to do something and I will mutate into a giant, city-destroying lizard and poop on their head.

So F all that biznass!

I'm gonna plan like mad for months and enjoy it! I'm gonna spend a load of money and not go into debt! I'm going to search etsy for hours and ooh and aaah at all sorts of pretty things! I'm going to spend significant amounts of time on *gasp* my wedding blog! And most importantly of all, I'm going to invest myself and care about the the beginning of my marriage to the person I love - and that's our wedding

With that, I'll end with something to make you smile:

1 comment:

  1. " And most importantly of all, I'm going to invest myself and care about the the beginning of my marriage to the person I love - and that's our wedding." Oooooh, I got chills! Like, Braveheart speech kinda chills. And then I watched the video and I gasped! Barf until you fit in your dress?! Haha, that's nuts! You're so right, though. I have to link to this in a post!

    ReplyDelete